- North Carolina Wildlife Commission for season dates, special lotteries, wildlife management areas, etc.
- The Croatan National Forest Ranger’s Station, 141 E. Fisher Ave., New Bern, 252-638-5628
- The US Department of Agriculture’s Natioanl Forest website for brochures, recreational maps, and more information.
Things for Hunters to think about:
- Be safe and remember the basics during Hunting Seasons. Park on the side of the road that you will be hunting on in case rescuers need to search for you.
- Preserve our Croatan National Forest by cleaning up after yourself and reporting illegal activity to the Ranger’s Station.
- If you are a deer hunter and you recently moved here, a lot of hunt clubs and individuals hunt with dogs. Mostly on the weekends, so if you are a lonesome deer hunter, it may be best to hunt during the week.
- New to the area? Make sure you have a topographical map and a GPS or compass because it’s easy to get turned around in the Croatan.
- Sportsman’s Toy Store sells unique and standard hunting supplies. They’re also a great source of information on field and stream opportunities in the area!
- Be on the look out for poisonous snakes, there’s a wide variety in the Croatan. Species include: cottonmouth water moccasin, canebrake rattlesnake, eastern diamondback rattlesnake, pygmy rattlesnake, and the copperhead. If you’re in the swamps, you may run across an alligator.