Visit the US Department of Agriculture’s National Forest website for brochures, recreational maps, and more information.
- Island Creek Forest Walk, Croatan National Forest, 252-638-5628
- Neusiok Trail, Croatan National Forest, 252-638-5628
- Neuse River Recreation Area, Croatan National Forest, 252-638-5628
- Pine Cliff Recreation Area, Croatan National Forest, 252-638-5628
Some of the Wildlife you may see:
- Black Bear
- White-tail Deer
- Bald Eagles
- Peregrine Falcon
- Wild Turkey
- Pileated Woodpecker
Things for Hikers to think about:
- Be extremely cautious during Hunting Seasons, wear bright colors and if you see a vehicle parked on the side of the road, steer clear of the land on the side the vehicle is parked on. If you hike off road, park on the side of the road that you will be hiking on in case rescuers need to look for you.
- Preserve our Croatan National Forest by cleaning up after yourself and reporting illegal activity to the Ranger’s Station.
- Be on the look out for poisonous snakes, there’s a wide variety in the Croatan. Species include: cottonmouth water moccasin, canebrake rattlesnake, eastern diamondback rattlesnake, pygmy rattlesnake, and the copperhead. If you’re in the swamps, you may be lucky enough to spot an american alligator.