Visitors are attracted to New Bern’s southern charm, small town feel, combined with the beautiful scenery, terrific weather, and an abundance of things to do, we have it all!
Residents range from home grown New Bernians, transplants seeking a slower pace of life, and snowbirds escaping from the cold weather. Military members and their families homestead in New Bern because of its close proximity to Marine Corps Air Station, Cherry Point and Marine Corps Base, Camp Lejuene.
Join the many art enthusiasts who are drawn to the abundance and variety of cultural experiences in New Bern. Home to many artists, art shops, and galleries, visitors and residents enjoy frequent art exhibits, concerts, and live theatre performances.
Abounding in history, the Swiss Baron Christopher de Graffenried founded New Bern in 1710 and the city was named after his home city of Bern, Switzerland. New Bern became the State’s first Capitol in 1770 until it was relocated to Raleigh in 1778. Attend several exciting Festivals and Events planned throughout 2012. Please feel free to send your event information to us via email.
Nestled between the Neuse and Trent Rivers in Eastern NC, New Bern is a haven for outdoor fanatics. Golfing, Fishing, Boating, and Watersports are only a few of many things to do. Hunters relish in the enormous Croatan National Forest located in our backyard which also provides a sanctuary for nature lovers. It’s home to the black bear, coyote, wild turkey, bobcat, wild boar, alligator, and bald eagle to name some of the wildlife species you may see. The Croatan’s habitat supplies excellent conditions for exotic plants like the Venus flytrap, making it the only National Forest with the largest carnivorous plant population.
Take a tour:
- Colonial Capital Helicopter Tours, Kale Storage Rd., New Bern, 252-514-2242
- New Bern Tours and Convention Services, 333 Middle St., New Bern, 252-637-7316 or 800-849-7316
- Ghosts of New Bern Walking Tour, New Bern, 252-571-4766
- Self-Guided African American Heritage Tour sponsored by the Craven County Convention and Visitors Center, 252-637-9400
- The Great Fire of 1922 The Trail of Flames, New Bern, 252-637-7316
- Tugboat Cruises LLC, 101 Craven St., 919-306-5712
- Walking Tours, Tryon Palace Historic Sites and Gardens, Corner of Pollock and George Sts., New Bern, 252-514-4900 or 800-767-1560
New Bern has a large manufacturing industry, home to Bosch Home Appliances, Drahtzug Stein, Moen, Maola Milk, Hatteras Yachts, Weyerhauser, and Wheatstone factories. These corporations supply thousands of employment opportunities for local residents.
- Tryon Palace and Gardens marks the landmark for the State of North Carolina’s First Capitol building.
- Pepsi Cola was invented in New Bern by Caleb Bradham as “Brad’s Drink” back in 1898. Visit the Birthplace of Pepsi Cola Store at 256 Middle St., 252-636-5898 and explore the history behind this favorite drink.
- We celebrated our 300th Anniversary in 2010!
- MSNBC named New Bern as a hot retirement spot!
- James City is also known as the “City of Freedmen”. Visit the New Bern Historical Society at 512 Pollock St., 252-638-8558, for more information about the recently renovated slave quarters as a reminder to all how lucky we are to have our freedom.
- New Bern is the hometown of North Carolina’s First Female Governor, Beverly Perdue and the famed Author and Screenwriter, Nicholas Sparks.
New Bern Resources
- There are many Employment Opportunities in New Bern.
- We have a regional medical center and many Healthcare facilities, to include mental and dental health professionals, alternative medicine, and ancillary services.
- Your children will be safe and receive a great education at our local Schools and a higher education at Craven County Community College which offers many advanced education opportunities.
- New Bern’s City Government website provides detailed information about city resources including police and emergency services, utilities, taxes, parks and recreation, and much more.
- Craven County Government website provides valuable information about county resources including emergency services, social services, Clerk of Court, Register of Deeds, planning and inspections, New Bern Riverfront Convention Center, Parks and Recreation, and more.
The Swiss Bear Downtown Development Corporation is revitalizing New Bern’s Downtown Historic District. Please visit their website for detailed information about this exciting initiative.
We are located:
- 20 miles from Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point and a 35 miles from Marine Corps Base, Camp Lejeune. Many active duty military and their family members homestead in New Bern because it provides a hometown feel with access to shopping, dining, and entertainment.
- 35 minute drive from the Beaches and far enough away to escape from summer tourists and major impact of hurricanes. Take a trip to Atlantic Beach, Emerald Isle, Topsail Island, or Morehead City for a fishing trip!
- 1 ½ hour drive from Wilmington or Raleigh so you can easily make a day trip and be back to New Bern before the sun goes down.